Posts Tagged ‘modern architecture’

Restoration and Adaptive Reuse of Modern Architectural Heritage

June 17, 2017

Case Study: Great Warehouse of the Kayseri Sümerbank Textile Factory
Burak Asiliskender, Nilüfer Yöney / AGU
REHAB 20173rd International Conference on Preservation, Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Historical Buildings and Structures
Braga/Portugal, 14-16 June 2017

Kayseri Sümerbank Textile Factory Complex (Ivan Nikolaev for Turkstroj, 1932-1935), one of the most important examples of Modern Architectural Heritage in Turkey, has been abandoned through privatization in 1999 and allotted to Abdullah Gül University in 2012 to be used for higher education. The so-called Great Warehouse, a long and narrow building measuring 135x45m and 6,000m2 and planned as a high single-story space, designated with a function centering on education in the master plan, became the focus of the first restoration and adaptive reuse project at the campus. Following the completion of the design project in 2014, the implementation took one-and-a-half years and the building was opened in September 2016.

REHAB   Conference Program

Fabrikadan Üniversite Kampüsüne: AGÜ Sümer Kampüsü

January 19, 2017

Burak Asiliskender, Nilüfer Baturayoğlu Yöney
Arkitera, Süperkent Kayseri Dosyası

2012 yılında kurulan Abdullah Gül Üniversitesi, yenilikçi bir akademik bakış ve yaklaşımla yapılanmaktadır. Toplumsal fayda üretmeyi merkeze alan eğitim ve araştırma yaklaşımıyla yeni bir üniversite modeli geliştirmektedir. Bilgi ve toplumsal değer üretimini merkeze alan bu yaklaşım, şüphesiz ki bir arada düşünmeye, tartışmaya ve üretmeye imkan veren mekanlara ihtiyaç duymaktadır. AGÜ; birbiri ile sıkı iletişim içinde derslikler, atölyeler, laboratuvarlar ile kütüphane ve sosyal alan kullanımlarının yeniden tanımlandığı açık kampüs düzeninde yapılanmayı ilke edinmiştir. 

AGÜ kampüsünü benzersiz kılan bir başka niteliği ise, ilke edindiği toplumsal değer üretme yaklaşımıyla ele aldığı, erken Cumhuriyet dönemimizin önemli miraslarından biri olan Sümerbank Kayseri Bez Fabrikası ve Lojmanları’nı, yeniden işlevlendirme girişimidir. AGÜ, sadece öğrencileri ve çalışanları için bir kampüs ve kullanım mekanları üretmek yerinde, Kayseri ve çevresinde yaşayanları bilim ve sanatla buluşturacağı açık bir kampüs oluşturmaktadır. Fabrika yerleşkesi içerisinde bulunan yapıların özgün değerlerinin korunarak, yeniden işlevlendirilmesi yaklaşımıyla da mimari kültürel mirasımızın korunmasına ve sürdürülebilirliğine örnek bir uygulama ortaya çıkarılması ilke edinilmiştir. AGÜ Sümer Kampüsü’nde gerçekleştirilen restorasyon ve yeniden kullanım projeleri, özgün mimari tasarım, mekan düzeni ile yapı malzeme ve teknolojileri ile tesiste gerçekleştirilen sanayi üretiminin ekonomik, toplumsal ve kültürel izleri korumaya odaklanmıştır. Zaman içinde eskimek ve bozulmakla birlikte, tesiste yer alan yapı ve açık alanlar dönemin yapı malzeme ve teknolojilerinin ayakta duran belgeleridir. Tesisin tarih içinde gelişimine tanıklık etmeleri bakımından, nitelikli dönem müdahalelerinin korunması da ilke olarak kabul edilmiştir.

Fabrika’nın üretimine son verildiği 1999 yılından AGÜ hizmetine verildiği 2012 yılına kadar geçen sürede, özgün makine ve teçhizatın büyük oranda kaybolduğu izlenmektedir. Bu nedenle, yeniden kullanım projeleri üretim süreci yerine, daha iyi korunmuş olan yapıların kendisine odaklanmıştır. Çağdaş müdahaleler ile özgün mimari ve teknolojik özellikleri ortaya çıkarmak ve yeni ile eskiyi her ölçekte birbirinden ayırt ettirmek amaçlanmıştır. Bu sayede, mevcut yapı stoğunun etkin kullanımı ve tüm yönleriyle sanayi mirasının korunması arasında bir denge kurulmakta; eski ve özgün olanlar yadsınmadan, yeni işlevler çerçevesinde bir bütünlük kurgulanmaktadır.

tam metin, 10 Ocak 2017

Regenerating an Urban Hub

April 1, 2016

The Transformation of the Sümerbank Kayseri Textile Factory to Abdullah Gül University Sümer Campus
Burak Asiliskender,Nilüfer Yöney / AGÜ

Inheriting the City:
Advancing Understandings of Urban Heritage

Taipei, 31 March – 4 April 2016

The Sümerbank Kayseri Textile Factory, designed and constructed in 1932-1935 was one of the largest industrial investments of the young Turkish republic. It soon became a node of technological, social and cultural modernization in the city, providing work as well as culture and recreation based on a new way of life in contrast with the existing traditional society. The rationalist and functionalist architecture as well as the single-family housing constructed in and around the factory became a new hub and soon created new neighbourhoods, pulling the urban developing toward them.

The complex, closed to production and abandoned in 1999, is today being transformed into a new urban hub as the Sümer Campus of Abdullah Gül University founded in 2012. Based on the master plan dated 2014, the open campus concept welcomes the citizens of Kayseri to a place that is physically the same but presents new activities centered on education and culture. The listed buildings in the complex are being restored to house new functions, and are being turned into educational and administrative buildings, laboratories, museums, cultural centers, and social gathering spaces such as club rooms, visitors center, cafes and restaurants. Meanwhile the architectural characteristics of the site and its buildings, its relationship with the urban sprawl of Kayseri and its importance as a memory place in the city are being preserved. The main principle behind the master plan and the restoration projects is to preserve the integrity of the campus and its buildings while transforming them with new additions without degrading the original characteristics but rather adding new value to them. It aims to describe the importance of the original complex for Kayseri and its transformation as a new urban hub of interest.

inheritingthecity.wordpress.com

From Production to Education; Re-Using Sumerbank Kayseri Warehouse

October 22, 2015

Dalla Produzione All’educazione; Riutilizzo il Kayseri Sümerbank Magazzino
Nilüfer Yöney, Burak Asiliskender / AGÜ

REUSO Valencia 2015
III Congreso Internacional sobre Documentación, Conservación,  y Reutilización del Patrimonio Arquitectónico

Valencia, 22-24 October 2015

Kayseri Sümerbank Textile Factory (1932-1935) designed and funded by the U.S.S.R. was among the first large-scaled industrial establishments and early examples of reinforced concrete construction in Turkey. The Great Warehouse currently under restoration as part of Abdullah Gül University Campus is a long and narrow building measuring 135x45m and will house classrooms, faculty offices, a multi-purpose hall, a refractory and café. The re-use project distinguishes the new additions from the original building through the use different structure, materials and textures: The classrooms and offices
are designed as a freestanding steel structure inside the original wide-spanning skeletal reinforced concrete building. The original concrete surfaces will be left exposed without any enlargements to the narrow element sections while original steel window frames and sliding doors will be preserved in-situ. The demolished sections of the façades will be reconstructed as transparent surfaces. Damaged load-bearing elements will be clad in steel, and structural strengthening interventions will be kept at a minimum in order to preserve the original architectural and structural characteristics.

reuso2015.blogs.upv.es

The Technology of an Early Reinforced Concrete Structure in Turkey

June 11, 2015

The Great Storehouse of the Kayseri Sümerbank Textile Factory
Nilüfer Yöney, Burak Asiliskender / AGÜimages

Heritage and Technology; Mind Knowledge Experience
Le Vie dei Mercanti
XIII Forum Internazionale di Studi

Aversa, Capri
11-12-13 June 2015

The former Kayseri Sümerbank Textile Factory (1935) designed and funded by the U.S.S.R. was among the first large-scaled industrial establishments in Turkey. The so-called Great Storehouse as well as the rest of the complex constitutes an interesting case study as an early example of large-scaled reinforced concrete construction in a provincial center for Turkish and Soviet technological history.

The long and narrow building measuring 135x45m is constructed in four sections with wide spanning axes based on a skeletal system, supported with slender columns and beams. The columns rise 5-6.5m from the original floor level and reach 9m along the raised central nave. The foundations are composed of double layers of square footings joined with tie beams. The partition walls are constructed with bricks while the exterior walls are tuff. All the masonry walls are held together with a weak mortar based on cement, lime and sand, and with steel reinforcing bars placed horizontally in the horizontal courses and tied to thicker steel bars vertically along the columns. Horizontal strip windows located in the upper part of the exterior walls and along the high central nave provide natural light. There are steel hangar doors along the east and west walls in almost each grid as well as two central doorways located on the short east and west façades. The reinforced concrete surfaces are left exposed while the brick walls and the interior surfaces of the tuff walls are plastered.

proceedings