REUSO Valencia 2015
III Congreso Internacional sobre Documentación, Conservación, y Reutilización del Patrimonio Arquitectónico
Valencia, 22-24 October 2015
Kayseri Sümerbank Textile Factory (1932-1935) designed and funded by the U.S.S.R. was among the first large-scaled industrial establishments and early examples of reinforced concrete construction in Turkey. The Great Warehouse currently under restoration as part of Abdullah Gül University Campus is a long and narrow building measuring 135x45m and will house classrooms, faculty offices, a multi-purpose hall, a refractory and café. The re-use project distinguishes the new additions from the original building through the use different structure, materials and textures: The classrooms and offices
are designed as a freestanding steel structure inside the original wide-spanning skeletal reinforced concrete building. The original concrete surfaces will be left exposed without any enlargements to the narrow element sections while original steel window frames and sliding doors will be preserved in-situ. The demolished sections of the façades will be reconstructed as transparent surfaces. Damaged load-bearing elements will be clad in steel, and structural strengthening interventions will be kept at a minimum in order to preserve the original architectural and structural characteristics.